Daniel Kalinaki's weblog

A commentary on news and events in Uganda and elsewhere

Name:

Just an ordinary bloke.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Taking it slow in Oslo

Overlooking OSLO - Summer has finally arrived in Norway. The glaciers are melting, the waterfalls are gushing, the fjords are full and ever-so-beautiful, and the sun is out in full force. Even London last week had some sun, lifting the gloom of the spring rains.

Over the weekend I did the Norway-in-a-nutshell run; train from the scenic Bergen to Voss, then a coach, ship and another train ride up to Flam and then another train back into Oslo. Very beautiful and scenic.

It is also extremely expensive; waiting for my flight to Bergen at the airport, I decided to have a beer -- Heineken. I had read the Lonely Planet guide to Norway and its warning about the cost but I was still shaken when the bill came to about 6 pounds. For a pint! I, quite frankly, can't afford it at that price and it is the last beer I am paying for (not drinking, mark you), until I return to lovely old London.

It is off the sun for a lunch of smoked salmon salad whilst overlooking the fjord down in Oslo. Later, I will try to remember what it is I am doing here and, hopefully, share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home